Monday 23 February 2015

Wherever you wish to be....

 

To celebrate our current show ‘To the Coast’, we asked some of the artist’s featured in the exhibition to tell us about their favourite Cornish spot:




Joanne Last


'I first discovered Priests Cove on a dramatically wet and windy April day.
'The wind was so strong we sat in the car looking at the Brisons huddled on a gleaming sea. It’s hard to describe the sheer scale of this view – the vast ever-changing sky and expanse of sea which can change in an instant from brilliant dancing light to a dark and foreboding weight of water. A huge canvas encircled with black rocks, which sparkle in the sun and reveal a wealth of different colours. 
'Many times I have perched myself beneath the old fishing huts and sketched, always inspiring and always something new to discover.'

Priest's Cove by Joanne Last, acrylic on canvas, h. 106 x w. 106 cm

 

Alex Morton

 

'What is my favourite spot in Cornwall? Now there's a question! There can be no one spot. 
'To walk at low tide and collect mussels it would be Bedruthan Steps on the rugged north coast with the towers of rock following the sketchy scramble down the steps. To surf it would be Fistral. To windsurf it would be Gwithian. To evening walk and eat with Anna it would be St Ives.'

Late summer at my favourite spot, Fistral by Alex Morton, acrylic and sand on canvas, h. 50 x  w. 50 cm

 

Martyn Perryman


'Over the years St Ives has played a pivotal role in the development of my work. One of my favourite places is Porthmeor Beach.   

'I am inspired by the sounds, smells and movement of light and try to bring these elements together in my paintings.  

'It is only a minute’s walk from where I stay and work when in St Ives. I spend a lot of time there throughout the year either enjoying barbeques with family and friends as well as solitary walks.'

Porthmeor Contemplaton by Martyn Perryman, oil on canvas, h. 100 x w. 100 cm

 

Sarah Perry


'For years now, my work has taken on the 'sea palette' inspired by my visits to St Ives.
'I had a lovely Cornish holiday when I was at art school and decided at the end of the course I would come down from Camberwell for six months and work near to St Ives, during that wonderful summer of '68. Spending my time preparing ideas for my range of work when I started up my studio.'
Blue Wave Ellipse by Sarah Perry, slab-built stoneware, h. 28 cm


 The exhibition 'To The Coast' will be on display in the gallery until Saturday 7th March 2015.


1 comment: